Director Hayao Miyazaki personally corrected or redrew more than 80,000 of the movie’s 144,000 animation cels.
Around 550 colors were used in this movie.
Did you know
Hayao Miyazaki had intended to this be his final movie before retiring. Its great success led him to do another, Spirited Away (2001). He made some more movies in the years after that.
Did you know
Leonardo DiCaprio’s favorite animated movie. Leonardo DiCaprio was originally considered for the part of Ashitaka.
On a journey to find the cure for a Tatarigami’s curse, Ashitaka finds himself in the middle of a war between the forest gods and Tatara, a mining colony. In this quest he also meets San, the Mononoke Hime.
LET'S PLAY A GAME, take a shot or smoke a joint (or BOTH) whenever:
– someone threatens to kill Ashitaka
– Ashitaka’s curse comes into play, not including the times where it’s simply hurting/writhing or getting worse
– an article of his clothing comes off — straw cape, dagger necklace, quiver, hat, shirt, so on
– someone denounces humans, whether by merely insulting them or out and out expressing their hatred
– San mentions how much she hates humans
– San talks about Lady Eboshi
– someone (human, or god) gets a head injury
– a wide shot of Irontown is shown
– a large amount of Kodama are shown
– you see a man’s fundoshi
– Ashitaka shows someone the mark of his curse or looks at the mark
– one of the animal(god)s talks about killing humans